The day ran me, rather than the other way around.
This is how I used to live my life, when I’d tear into work like a bat out of hell and without stopping to take a breath or have a sense of presence, I’d plunge straight into the dozens of emails I’d invariably gotten since 9pm the previous night. Then I’d work (in a super stressed out way, thinking everything was urgent) straight through til the second I had to leave, when I’d race to the next thing.
Years later, I’m still dealing with the chronic pain those old pesky habits (and many others) have left me with.
Which is why I’m VERY eager to share this week’s Career Passport episode with you, “Your Presence Can Open Career Doors”
We have Minna Taylor, CEO and Founder of Energize Your Voice, on the show today to talk about how presence – both vocal and physical – can really open doors for your career and your life.
We’re talking about all types of professional contexts where presence – or a lack of it – can be the very thing holding you back. And we’re giving you tools to start making some quick fixes now. You can grab the tool we created for this show here, which has scripts and checklists for the scenarios we mention in the episode.
On the show, we’re talking about:
- How to use presence to answer the often dreaded, “So, what do you do?” question
- How to own your upcoming interview
- What to do to show up with more presence at meetings
- Using presence for conflict resolution in the office
- Quick ways to use preparation to enhance your presence in meetings
- How a lack of presence and bad habits can ‘show up’ (and not go away!) in chronic ways over time
This episode is a must-listen for anyone who:
- Has been on tons of job interviews where they’re perfect for the job, but can’t understand why they’re not getting call backs
- Is exhausted by all the running around and feels run by their day
- Is nervous to speak up in meetings and doesn’t know when or how to interject a thought or idea
- Wants to progress their career and have been given feedback that they need to speak up or “own” more but they’re not sure how or are afraid.
Listen to the episode by clicking the button below
So, if you’re reading this on your way to a meeting, grab the episode now and grab some pointers!
Show Notes (Timings are Approximate)
0:43 Introduction to Minna Taylor
1:30 How she got to be doing presence work
3:50 Why is having a strong presence so important for your career?
7:50 Bringing these unconscious behaviors to the conscious level
9:50 How do you handle the “What do you do?” question when you’re between jobs or don’t like what you’re doing?
13:55 How do you own the interview process using vocal and presence techniques?
16:50 Using storytelling as a tool
17:50 How to come up with interview questions to ask your interviewer through curiosity and presence?
18:57 Other work situations –conflict resolution and meetings
27:00 Long-term ramifications of NOT having presence
27:50 Minna’s Go-To Resources and tools
30:20 Minna’s Workshops & Offerings for Personal Goals and For Companies
Resources Mentioned On The Show
Improv Classes in NYC:
The Magnet– if you want community and lower stakes
UCB: More rigorous
How to Find Minna: